Visit the temporary exhibitions on an active tour with a FOMU guide and discover the stories behind the photographs. Get to know studio portraits and street photography from James Barnor’s oeuvre and discover the work of seven artists who draw inspiration from Chantal Akermen’s films in the exhibition Her Voice.
This tour is available from October 28th 2023 until March 10th 2024
James Barnor - Studio of Life offers an overview of James Barnor's (b. Ghana, 1929) remarkable career. His multifaceted and powerful images made him a photography pioneer. This exhibition not only showcases Barnor's rich and diverse body of work but also examines the cultural connections between Accra, London and Antwerp.
In recent years, Barnor's work has received increasing international attention for its unique insight into a crucial era of the 20th century. James Barnor: Studio of Life provides a retrospective of the photographer's exceptional trajectory, and of a long underrepresented perspective of modern world history.
The group exhibition Her Voice - Echoes of Chantal Akerman presents photographic and video works by seven contemporary artists inspired by the work of Belgian filmmaker Chantal Akerman. Manon de Boer, Moyra Davey, Gabby Laurent, Frida Orupabo, Joanna Piotrowska, Collier Schorr and Carmen Winant explore what it means today to be a woman, artist, mother, daughter and lover.
What to expect?
- You’ll discover the stories behind the photographs. The guide will pick out a few artworks to explore in more detail and will frame the life and work of the artists within the spirit of the time.
- It is possible to focus on one of the two exhibitions (James Barnor or Her Voice), just mention this in advance when booking.
- The guide will encourage you to look at the artworks slowly and in depth
- The guide will use conversation techniques such as Visual Thinking Strategies to stimulate sharing
- It is possible to book whisper sets (audio amplification) for your guided tour (max. 2 groups at the same time). Please request this in advance via email.
- This guided tour is suitable for groups of adults
- Maximum 20 persons per group. You can book this visit with max. 2 groups at the same time, depending on the occupancy rate of the museum and availability of the guides.
- Duration: 90 minutes
- The entire museum is wheelchair accessible. There are also portable stools for those with reduced mobility.
For group visits with a guide, FOMU works together with booking platform Experience Antwerp. For all practical questions about your booking you can contact them directly on +32 3 205 56 05